28 March, 2011

Mexican Cornbread

This cornbread is incredibly good, let me tell you.
I call it Mexican because of the colors, though I suppose that is redundant as cornbread is probably Mexican in origins... not sure... hmm, comments?

This is scrumptious, moist, flavorful... basically insert any yummy descriptive here and that's exactly what you've got, Ha! Can you tell I like this recipe? ;p


Ingredients:
3/4 C Cornmeal
1 C all purpose vegan flour (I like Red Mill brand for this)
1 1/4 C coconut milk
1 Tb Baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 C Sugar (or less)
2 Tb ground flax seeds + 6 Tb water*
1/2 - 1 Onion
1 Red pepper
1 Handful frozen corn (opt)

*the flax seeds act as "glue" since the vegan flour is gluten free.
This is done in stages:
1. Sauté chopped onion and pepper lightly then set aside.
2. In Bowl #1, mix cornmeal and milk and set aside.
3. In Bowl #2, mix flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar and set aside.
4. Separately, mix the flax seeds and water, then add this to Bowl #1 and mix.
5. Combine Bowl #1 and #2 and wisk it all together. Throw in the onion and pepper and a handfull of frozen corn if you've got some on hand.

Bake 350 - 375 F or so for about 35-55 mn., lowering the temperature a bit for the last 20 mn. or so (don't you  just love how precise I am with my directions here?)
Take a bit of that!...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! Now you have me hungry and I have been having a hankering for corn bread lately!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...