12 November, 2010

Quinoa For Breakfast

Most people have a pretty well defined idea as to what constitute Breakfast food. I never really thought of quinoa as such until a trip to Utah earlier this year. We stop at the Love Muffin Cafe in Moab, UT, after cycling into town from our campsite and I was Hungry. There is was, on the chalk board menu, and it sounded perfect.

The funny thing is I started noticing it other place after that... maybe my mind had shifted somehow and it had been there all along -I just never saw it. Ever have that happened to you?

It was great! A nice bowl of quinoa, chopped fruits and dried raisins served with soy milk on the side. No milk for me so I poured a little water in for moisture and it hit the spot.

Needless to say I now make it at home occasionally. :)

The only thing left in the house were bananas... so bananas it was. Peaches, nectarines, papaya and the likes would be awesome too. Next time I'll be sure to have more on hand.  

Quinoa cooks just like rice, with a 1:2 quinoa to water ratio. For practical purposes I cooked 1 C and kept the rest for salad later.

In went a sliced banana and a handful of dried cranberries, with a splash of coconut milk to top it off.



Oh, and yes, whatever I do, there's got to be either cat or dog coming to see what I'm up to...  

"Call me Mr. D."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...