04 June, 2010

Vegan Corn Bread

We're definitively into simple, no-frills meals at my house, and corn bread certainly falls into that category.
Liking the taste but not the content, I experimented with several recipes found online -that is, by altering it according to my own food standards, i.e.  vegan, healthy, and no imitation food.

The first couple tries I used water... yeah, I know, came out a little dry to say the least. ;0

With a little tweaking here and there, the recipe is now up to snuff and worthy of its own card in my recipe box. Yeah!


The ingredients:
1C Cornmeal
1C Sorghum flour
1Tbsp Baking powder
1 1/2C Coconut milk
1 Tbsp Chia seeds
pinch of salt
herbs of choice

Before doing anything else, place Chia Seeds in a bowl and generously cover with water. Mix so all seeds are nicely soaked and set aside while you get your kitchen space ready.
The seeds will absorb the water and transform into a gel like substance. Give them at least 10-15 mn before using.

In a bowl, mix cornmeal, sorghum flour, baking powder, salt and herbs of choice, in this case: dill.
Add coconut milk gradually while mixing. About halfway through adding the milk, add the chia seed gel.

Prepare your pan of choice: I used coconut oil and sorghum flour here also.
Pour corn bread mixture in.
Bake 20 mn at 400 F.

A quick funny: here I am excited about baking corn bread when I have this insightfull idea to add herbs into the mix. Looking at my choices, I reach for the dill herb jar, quickly take off the lid and automaticcally turn the jar over the bowl ready to "shake" a reasonable amount ... in the split second it takes me to realize what is happening, a green mountain of herbs is already out.
I had forgotten that this jar doesn't have that little "holly" plastic cover  -you know, the one that regulates the amount of herbs coming through.

Needless to say, a fairly generous amount of dill went into this particular bread!

Turned out really good! Lots of dill is OK! ha, ha.

All that to say, don't hesitate with the herbs if that's what you like.



Cut a good chunck, slice in half, and cover with seasoned black eye peas. Serve with lots of green.



Recipe: Vegan Corn Bread
by: Cats, Sprouts and Coconuts
prep: very quick
cook: 30 mn at 400 F

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...